“We’ve had to get a lot more focused on how we compete —and it’s made us a better company.”– Leah Wong Ashburn
Here’s What You’ll Learn
- The history and evolution of Highland Brewing
- Highland’s rebranding process
- Challenges specific to the microbrewery business
- Highland’s marketing partnership and community building strategy
- Sneak ‘listen’ about Highland’s new location in the S&W building, slated to open in Spring 2020
- Leah’s advice for those trying to “make it” in Asheville
Asheville Bee Charmer is the company that worked to install beehives on Highland’s rooftop.
Brewer’s Association is a monthly trade magazine that Leah reads.
Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell is the book that Leah was currently reading at the time of this podcast recording.
Brewer’s Craft Conference is an annual brewer’s conference that Leah and her team attend to stay up-to-date on the industry.
Master Brewers Association of America is an brewer’s organization that Highland Brewing is a part of.
Bent Creek is one of Leah’s favorite trails in Asheville
Music by Commonwealth Choir
Curious to learn more about what we do?
Making It in Asheville is a podcast where we go behind the scenes with artists, creatives, and entrepreneurs in Asheville. We learn about what they’re making and how they’re making it in Asheville.
Making It in Asheville is powered by Making It Creative, our boutique marketing and business consulting agency. We help passionate small business owners build and improve their sales and communication strategies. Learn more here.
We appreciate your support!
To recommend an interviewee, visit MakingItInAsheville.com/podcast