In this episode, we interview John Hornsby, a creative graphic artist, organizer of information, strategic thinker, and an experienced achiever. What one might call, a Chief Creative Ninja.
Here’s What You’ll Learn in this Episode:
- How John developed his style (and is still doing so today)
- The importance of finding art through community
- How the practice of “going down the rabbit hole” and diving into research helps John’s curiosity
- Why value is not tied to productivity
- Understanding the difference between reactivity and proactivity
- Why John started building something he calls “Connection Kits” during COVID-19
Enjoyed this interview? We think you might also dig this episode with local Asheville graphic designer & business owner of Amp’d Designs, Alyssa Phillips. Alyssa sits on the board of AIGA.
This episode is brought to you by Range Urgent Care an Asheville-based clinic that offers affordable healthcare, transparent pricing, and streamlined, friendly service. Learn more about Range Urgent Care.
*Enjoy your first month free of annual membership at Range Urgent Care. Use code ‘makingitinasheville’ at checkout. Offer valid for a limited time only.
About John Hornsby
Delivering the rare balance of graphic artistry and business acumen, Hornsby Creative brings to the table a strong background in environmental graphic design specializing in signs and special events marketing, as well as extensive hands on experience in sales, relationship management, business development and workflow solutions.
- Fast Signs helps to solve your marketing & visual communications challenges with signs, banners, graphics & much more.
- Allegra is a national printing and design company.
- AIGA is a chapter of the American Institute of Graphic Arts. John sits as Treasurer at the Asheville location.
- Garden Party is a lifestyle boutique in West Asheville specializing in elevated objects for the aesthetically inclined.
- Moonlight Makers is a t-shirt and gifts printing company with items featuring silly sayings and designs.
- Rosetta’s Kitchen vegetarian & vegan soul food located in Asheville, NC.
- Oowee Products makes handmade & custom leather goods.
- John discusses building community through Creative Mornings
- Aisha Adams of Equity Over Everything. Check out Aisha Adams recent podcast interview with Making It In Asheville.
- Brett McCall of Better Than Unicorns in Asheville, NC
- Robert Edward Grant – Geometric Explorations
- Watch Stack – watch a talk on a subject, followed by a facilitated conversation around the subject
- The Starless Sea, by Erin Morgenstern
- Oh, the smooth and bold lines accomplished using Micron pens
- Asana, a project management tool.
- Connection Kits, created by John for you to enjoy at home.
- Gallop’s Assessment Strength’s Finder, a tool to help find your best self and develop your team.
Interested in engaging more with John Hornsby?
Music by Commonwealth Choir