We realize that there are a lot of people out there experiencing some kind of suffering, loss, or pain during this pandemic. It may be financial, physical, or even mental.
As a way of supporting and loving this community, we want to take a moment to share with you three important philosophies that have really helped shape our thoughts and responses to what’s happening around us. Although we know we are speaking from a place of multiple types of privilege, these teachings have helped our minds stay positive and be optimistic. These counter-intuitive mental frameworks have helped us cope and continue to work toward our goals.
And although some of these teachings are, let’s say, strange, our hope is that you’ll find at least one of them helpful. No matter what you’re going through right now, whether it’s a financial loss, the feeling of failure, or a sense of loneliness, we hope this episode will help you in some small way.
Here’s What You’ll Learn in the Episode
- Why we’re going on the offensive during COVID-19 (and some of the ways we’re doing so)
- How these frameworks have affected the way we’re showing up with friends, family, and this community.
- The three philosophies or teachings that have impacted the way we see the world (and are especially important as we consider the effects of COVID-19 on our business and our personal lives)
- For each teaching, we also share resources and books where you can learn more about them
- Why some of these teachings might be “triggering” or difficult to hear for some people
P.S. We recently put together a list of resources for small businesses in Asheville to help during these uncertain times. Read Coronavirus: Resources for Small Businesses in Asheville (and Beyond).
Below we provide some more information about each of the philosophies we covered in this episode. Please note: some of these links are Amazon affiliate links. We appreciate your support!
To learn more about stoicism, we recommend the following:
- Meditations by Marcus Aurelius
- Stillness is the Key by Ryan Holiday
- Ego is the Enemy by Ryan Holiday
- The Obstacle is the Way by Ryan Holiday
- The Daily Stoic by Ryan Holiday
To learn more about Byron Katie and “The Work,” we recommend the following:
- TheWork.com (specifically, download the free worksheets on this page)
- Loving What Is by Byron Katie
- How to Confront Your Fears Through Meditation (video with Byron Katie)
To learn more about Busting Loose theories, we recommend:
- Busting Loose From the Money Game by Robert Scheinfeld (The cover is absolutely wacko. Just roll with it.)
- Busting Loose From the Business Game by Robert Scheinfeld
- End Your Suffering by Experiencing Your Life Like a Movie video (It’s a little cheesy, but the message is powerful.)
We’ve built a resource page for Coronavirus/COVID-19 support for local businesses
We’re hosting a week of live-streamed conversations to support the community called, “What Now, Asheville?”
Music by Commonwealth Choir
Curious to learn more about what we do?
Making It in Asheville is a podcast where we go behind the scenes with artists, creatives, and entrepreneurs in Asheville. We learn about what they’re making and how they’re making it in Asheville.
Making It in Asheville is powered by Making It Creative, our boutique marketing and business consulting agency. We help passionate small business owners build and improve their sales and communication strategies. Learn more here.
We appreciate your support!
To recommend an interviewee, visit MakingItInAsheville.com/podcast