In this episode, we interview Brook Bolen, one of the editors behind the beloved AVL Today, whose reach is up to 45,000+subcribers per day. Brook has acted as a much-needed internet friend for Ashevillians, especially throughout the pandemic and the community is grateful. We are excited to finally meet the person behind the text and put simply, she’s awesome.
Here’s What You’ll Learn in this Episode:
- Acting as a resource and writing through a pandemic
- The burden of being a news outlet
- Finding your voice in writing
- How Brook’s Grandfather couldn’t read and now she writes to 45k + people and how truly impactful this is to her (and us listening)
- Tips for getting out of your way when you’re writing
Enjoyed this interview? We think you might also dig this episode with Oby Morgan, founder of Capital At Play.
About Brook Bolen
One generation removed from dirt floors, Brook Bolen is WNC born and bred, and one-half of the AVLtoday team. In addition to her work there, her pieces have appeared in publications including Salon, The Guardian, VICE, Jezebel, Reader’s Digest, Thrillist, and more. She loves rescue dogs, her family, newborn baby-sized burritos, and Waylon Jennings, and the Wu-Tang Clan in equal measure. Brook is constantly creating community and meaning through writing/reading and sharing with others.
To learn more about AVL Today and stay up to date directly in your inbox, check out the links below:
Management Tools and Writing Apps
Books & Authors
- Perennial Seller: The Art of Making and Marketing Work that Lasts by Ryan Holiday
- Bell Hooks – This article linked includes a list to get your Bell Hooks reading journey started
- Bastard Out of Carolina: A Novel by Dorthy Allison
- The Color Purple by Alice Walker
Music by Commonwealth Choir