If there’s one theme we can highlight from our first 10 interviews with Asheville locals, it’s this: just start.
Throughout this episode, we share the various ways that our interviewees began their journey towards becoming who they are today. We learn that “getting started” looks different for everyone. For some, it’s taking baby steps and dabbling in their curiosities as side hobbies. For others, it’s making a giant leap of faith and quitting their corporate job to start a new business.
Although we’re publishing this podcast episode at the end of the season, this is actually a fantastic introductory episode if you’re new to the Making It in Asheville podcast! You’ll get to hear a little bit from each of our interviewees this season, and, if you like what you hear, we encourage you to go back and listen to the full episode with them.
Again, this will be our FINAL bonus episode of Season 1 here at the Making It in Asheville Podcast. In this episode, we’re sharing with you our favorite sound bites from our first 10 interviews.
Here’s What You’ll Learn
- Get an overview of who we interviewed this season and what they’re all about.
- Discover the many different ways our interviewees have gotten started —and grown —in their industry and career.
- Why driving a car in the fog is a good metaphor for starting a business.
- Hear some actionable advice based on the experiences of our guests.
- Learn why getting started now is better than getting started later.
We hope this episode inspires you to start working on your next big project as much as it did for us!
We shared sound bites from the following podcast interviews:
- 003 – How to Run an Airbnb from Your Basement (and Find Contentment) w/ John Hopple
- 004 – How to Open a Small Retail Shop (and Be Sustainable, too) with Gillie Roberts from Ware
- 005 – What We Wish We Had Known Before Moving to Asheville (Lessons from the Move at the Three-Week Mark)
- 006 – From Dishwasher to Chef de Cuisine with Derek Herre
- 007 – Growing a Wedding Planning Business with Nikki Sciurba of Carolina Love Events
- 008 – A Lesson on Finding Your Own Creative Style (and Photography Niche) with Sarah Hooker
- 009 – The Art of Butchery and How to Make Better Meat Eating Decisions with PJ Jackson from Chop Shop Butchery
- 011 – The Evolution of a Cake Artist with Melissa Gray from Cakes by Gray
- 012 – On Selling Time and Building a Luxury Concierge Service with Kara Candler of Tick Tock Concierge
- 013 – Shaking Things Up and Making Better Cocktails with Phoebe Esmon and Christian Gaal
- 014 – Taking the Plunge and Shaping the Future of Wellness with Andrew Nehlig of Sauna House (formerly known as Bada Bastu)
Other books and articles mentioned during this episode include:
Enter to win one of these abstract Asheville Map Prints by Par-Mar Media. There will be TWO giveaway winners to celebrate the launch of Season TWO.
*Give away ends on September 3, 2019 at 11:59 pm. Winners will be announced via e-mail and Instagram.
Music by Commonwealth Choir
Curious to learn more about what we do?
Making It in Asheville is a podcast where we go behind the scenes with artists, creatives, and entrepreneurs in Asheville. We learn about what they’re making and how they’re making it in Asheville.
Making It in Asheville is powered by Making It Creative, our boutique marketing and business consulting agency. We help passionate small business owners build and improve their sales and communication strategies. Learn more here.
Show us some love, will ya?
To recommend an interviewee, visit MakingItInAsheville.com/podcast